A Look Into “My Gym”

DSC_0302

As I’ve said before, with my busy lifestyle, the gym isn’t an option, but that wont stop me from reaching my fitness goals. With the help of my trainer, I’ve pieced together my perfect at-home gym. I’ve had several requests for more information on “my gym”, so I am writing today to tell what it consists of. No, I don’t have a fancy weight machine, but that hasn’t stopped me from gaining muscle.

In the beginning, I was doing a basic full body workout that I found on Pinterest. The only thing that called for a weight was one exercise, the Oblique Twist, but I just used something heavy around the house. My first purchase for my gym was a set of three kettle bells (5, 10, and 15lbs) and a few dumbbells (5 and 10lbs). As I’ve grown stronger and added new workouts, I’ve bought heavier weights. Target was having a sale at the time of the second weight purchase, so I’m working with mismatched weights. Oh well! Look at this way – my weights add color to my bedroom with the assortment of colors.

DSC_0238

I also got a yoga mat, but to be honest, I don’t use it very often. It doesn’t really seem to make a difference when you’re working out on carpet. My trainer asked me to get bands to add intensity to some of my workouts, which you find just about anywhere. Make sure you get bands that are long enough for your body! Another word of caution: I had to get a second set with grips so I could do kickbacks without popping myself in the head. I would post a video, but I would like to maintain the appearance of a professional.

DSC_0271

DSC_0261

Over time, I’ve added new items as my workouts have changed, my strength has increased or out of sheer convenience. For example,  I added a stability ball because the only bench we have is downstairs in our kitchen, and I wanted to be able to do the entire workout upstairs. Little did I know, this added another level of intensity to my workouts. Again, be sure to get the right size. I originally bought a stability ball that was too small.

My gym is very basic, but that doesn’t mean it’s not effective. All of my results have come from using what I have at home and the items mentioned above. Even when I am out of town and get to use a hotel gym, I still use the dumbbells and kettle bells. As you become stronger, you’ll need to add heavier weights, but start little and work your way up. I still use my 5lb weights for a lot of different workouts, so your previous purchases won’t go to waste.

DSC_0216

Just because I can’t go to the gym doesn’t mean I can’t workout. If lack of time has prevented you from a healthier lifestyle, I am here to encourage you to stop sidelining your physical health. Go get these basic items, set goals, and get to it! While you’re at it, subscribe to my blog to get more inspiration and tips delivered right to your inbox.

Let's get social

32 comments

1. Sammy says:

Thanks for these easy to follow exercises. I have a gym membership however I come up with ever excuse why not to go through winter. Then in summer i prefer being out in the sunshine walking or running along the beach. Maybe I will start saving my pennies and follow your journey from the comfort of my home 🙂

• fbarbare says:

It really isn’t that costly, at least compared to a gym membership. haha I bought my stuff little by little and still plan to add a few things as I go. Would love to have you follow my journey and join in!

xo
      Faith

2. Chelsea says:

Thanks sooooooooo much for writing this! I have a gym membership but I cannot seem to make it to the gym (it’s starting to seem like a waste of money). I do a lot of videos online and it’s very helpful. My schedule is busy as well so I try to workout at home whenever I can. I’ll try your suggestions.

• fbarbare says:

Most people actually end up paying to not go to the gym. With having everything at home you have far less excuses. I always do mine after my daughter goes to bed that way I don’t have to waist family time. 🙂

xo
      Faith

3. Breharne says:

I love this, thank you. I totally relate to no time for gym but had not even entertained the that idea I could workout at home without million dollar equipment. Off to Target for me!

4. Soraya says:

This is fantastic! I used to put off working out because by the time I’d finish work, it’d be hectic to get to the gym in the traffic. Your post is a great reminder that you don’t need to go to the gym to reach those fitness goals. Thank you for sharing this – it was a great push for me to keep fit… even at home!

• fbarbare says:

Glad I could help! I know what you mean about the traffic. I use to work 25 minutes away from my house with no traffic, so trying to squeeze in the gym would just be insane. Let me know if you need any help along the way!

xo
      Faith

5. Kat says:

This is fantastic! I really need to get back into the exercise. I was getting fit after my 2nd babe, then I was terribly sick during pregnancy again and now somehow the littlest one is 7mo and I’ve yet to don a pair of runners! Great tips for building a home gym collection.

• fbarbare says:

Thank you. I know how hard it can be to balance a workout into a crazy schedule, and I only have a three year old running around. When the timing is right I am sure you will have no trouble getting back into the swing of things.

xo
      Faith

6. Hayley says:

Lovee this! I work at a gym when I am in Australia and it is always crowded and busy! I love to do my own exercises at home! This is so simple and easy to follow. Love it girl! X

7. Kami @ FaithfullyMeBlog says:

I love this, for years I wasted money on a gym membership then I had kids and realized that my home is the best place for me… now my kids join me and keeping fit is a family affair. Great post and best of luck!

• fbarbare says:

That’s so awesome. My daughter will attempt to join in. Specially during photo time. She gets real excited and ask to have her picture taken a million times.

xo

8. Sally says:

Love this post! I am in need of a bit of inspiration at the moment! I used to love the gym but ended up feeling like it was taking up too much time. I have a few home gym items, although I would like to get a kettle bell. Time to get back into a routine I think and start feeling strong again!

• fbarbare says:

All of my workouts are under an hour, which is perfect for me. I find that making time is one of the hardest thing to do, but the results are so worth it!

xo

9. Megan Richards says:

Something I’ve been struggling with, whether I should join the gym or workout at home.

Thank you for this article, you’ve encouraged me to start working out at home again. There are NO excuses!

• fbarbare says:

It just makes things easier. There are tons of workouts you can find that don’t even require equipment. Let me know if I can help along the way 🙂

xx

10. Genevieve says:

This is really inspiring! I’ve put off getting a yoga mat for a while now as I find the carpet has great grip too 🙂 I loved what you mentioned about the weights at Target – I’ve seen them there but often talked myself out of getting them because of my skinny build. I quite like the idea of making my own home gym – those weights look like a great way to build strength, and I think I’ll be going back Target again soon 🙂